Thursday, April 7, 2022

FAKE IT UNTIL YOU MAKE IT


I love the concept of goal setting. Setting and accomplishing goals gives us a feeling of completion. However, at times the real challenge comes after we accomplish that goal and we return to bad habits. One great example is spring cleaning, it gives a sense of completion when done, but it is often times temporary as we return to the habit of gathering clutter. I believe that a goal is not always the answer instead what is needed is an identity change. For example, I have taken on an identity as someone who does not snack. Taking on that identity has been helpful in determining my eating habits.

Here are a few things to keep in mind when thinking about your goals:

1.       Is setting this goal going to change my negative behavior or is it only dealing with the result of my negative behavior.

2.       What daily choices can I make that will lead to behavioral change.

3.       What is my desired identity and how do I adapt that.

4.       Am I taking the average route in my actions?

Bad habits give immediate gratification which is why they easily become habit. Good habits encourage putting in the work first but the results are delayed.

Try changing your identity and see how that affects your goals.

 

One Love

Danni

A REALTOR A MOM A DAUGHTER OF THE NORTHSHORE  

3 comments:

  1. You're perfectly correct. Never thought about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard it takes seven days to create a habit. I wonder where this would fit in this discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s an interesting perspective and a better approach to form healthy habits.

    ReplyDelete