Thursday, July 22, 2021

WHEN FAMILY AND FRIENDS REJECT YOUR DREAM



Recently I had a conversation with my dad about years ago when I decided I wanted to migrate to the US. At the time my dad had lost his job, I had dropped out of college because I couldn't afford it, yet I had a dream of migrating and studying in the US. 

I remember my dad  applying to teachers college in Jamaica on my behalf. I was absolutely upset. Don't get me wrong, becoming a teacher is great, becoming a teacher in Jamaica is great, but that was not the vision I had for myself. I was highly offended that he felt so little of the vision I had for myself and instead was promoting the vision he had for me. The truth is, my dads vision was the easier route and the more "sensible" route. But it was not the vision I had for myself.

Why am I telling you this story? Well, because, when we begin to dream BIG UNCOMFORTABLE DREAMS and we share them with others, they try to dull it down. Its nothing personal, most times it comes from family and friends who love us and want whats best, and our big dreams scare the crap out of them. 

My advise, if you are open to it is; have big audacious dreams, set massive goals and work at them like your life depends on it. You know why? Your life does depend on it.

One Love

DANNI

A REALTOR A MOM A DAUGHTER OF THE NORTHSHORE 

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely correct. We have to push past the ideas of others and realize our own dreams

    ReplyDelete
  2. True dat...
    Whether we want to admit it or not, sometimes we have to just disconnect from them and go towards your DREAMS because they're YOURS and not theirs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growth is not always comfortable. It requires work and commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You better believe...I applaud you for this message because you have and continue to work like your life depends on it

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much truth… Thanks for sharing and providing this important reminder.

    ReplyDelete